Sunday, July 20, 2014

To Eat An Elephant

Do you remember elephant jokes from your childhood?  I remember loving them and giggling hysterically at their silliness.  They were based on simple humor that often had me puzzling to make sense of exactly why an elephant would need to paint his toenails red... and even more, why that same elephant would need, or even WANT, to hide in a cherry tree!   

Although most of the jokes were silly, some had an underlying deeper message.  This one sticks out:
 
Question: How do you eat an elephant?
Answer:  One bite at a time!

For me, professional learning and growth is like eating an elephant.  It's a tasty elephant, and I really want to be able to gobble up the whole thing!  But, though I want to, it just isn't possible to accomplish everything all at once.  The best way to tackle it is one bite at a time.

Up to this point I haven't been a blogger.  I've preferred to share my ideas with one or two close friends in face-to-face conversations.  It's safer that way.  I've just returned from the Discovery Educator Network Summer Institute, though, and was encouraged by several to share my teaching and learning journeys with a broader audience.  

And so, here's my blog.  I hope that by sharing with the world I'll accomplish several things:
  • I'll learn to take the time to chew each bite of my professional "elephant", reflecting on successes and challenges along the way
  • I'll share ideas and strategies that I've found successful (or not!)
  • I'll connect with my PLN in a new way-  please be gentle with your feedback!  :)


1 comment:

  1. What a great analogy, thanks for sharing. I can't wait to learn about what you are doing this year!

    ReplyDelete