Sunday, July 20, 2014

Discovery Educator Network Summer Institute Reflections and Thanks

Home.  It's so nice to be home.  But all the same, I'm torn.
I spent the past week learning from and with the most amazing educators I've met.  Participating in DENSI for a second year was an incredible boon and I'm incredibly thankful for the opportunity.

Because of the DEN (Discovery Educator Network for those not familiar with the acronym) I am:

  • trying my hand at blogging.  Never thought I'd say that!
  • connecting with my PLN via Twitter (though I'm Tweet challenged and desperately want more than 140 characters with which to communicate.  Will I get over that?!)
  • excited to take the next step in my journey as an educator.  I'll be an elementary librarian this fall and I'm glad to have connected with several DEN members who have already taken those first steps.  They've graciously allowed me to learn from them and I'm thankful.
  • giving Aurasma a try and thinking about how it might be used in an elementary library.
  • exploring new technologies (love those 3D printers!)
  • reflecting on my instructional practice and thinking about flipping some of the things I do so that I'm more intentional about time that students spend in my classroom
  • pondering over my professional passions and trying to articulate what I believe about teaching and learning
  • learning about new ways to connect with and develop my PLN

As others have done before me, I'd like to give a huge THANK YOU to the Discovery Education team, with Princess Porter in the lead.  Your support of me and so many other teachers provides us with a global support system that helps us to thrive and be our best.  DENSI 2014 was awesome and I'm thrilled to have been a part!

To my DENSI friends, you amaze me, motivate me and encourage me to keep learning and growing.  It was wonderful to see those of you I met last summer in Vermont.  It was equally wonderful to meet new friends along the way.  I was fortunate to have the BEST room mate (Julie Wenger), the best suite mates (Zulma Whiteford, Karie Huttner, Anne Shrode, Karen Ogen, and Julie Wenger) and the best team (Zulma's Team Z.)  Thank you all!

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous recollective post. Lve your

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dove into the deep end to blog? The deep end isn't so scary when there are so many friends swimming in there with you with tons of pool noodles and floaties! Glad we are in the same pool. Thanks for sharing your post!

    ReplyDelete